Monday, January 21, 2008

Stumpwork

About 3 years ago I decided I wanted to tackle stumpwork. I love to make 3-D cards and so it made sense to me to try stumpwork. I had a magazine I found at a Goodwill called "Embroidery and Cross Stitch" magazine. It is volume 3 number 5 and in it was Fairy Wrens in My Garden" by Jean Fletcher. It was a lot of fun and a real challenge....especially the needlelace petals but I got it finished . I had it framed but they did not stretch it properly and so I am going to have it done again. This is one of the few pieces I have kept for us.

I have also done a piece called "Winged Desire" and is a sweet pea and bee. It was in in " Inspirations" volume 17 and I did "Rustle of Winter" and is a thistle and is in volume 37.
I enjoyed that so much I did another thistle one that had a wonderful Monarch Butterfly and that is in volume 42. I did a Christmas one from Caron and you will find it in the side under free patterns stumpwork along with some more good ones.

I find that I am wanting to branch out and try to add stumpwork to many projects. I love that it is not flat work......maybe that is why I like Brazilian work too. Check out the free patterns on the net at the side and be brave and try stumpwork.......Happy Stitching.

2 comments:

Jjewelsea said...

WOW! Donna!! This is INCREDIBLE!!! What a talented lady you are.

Vivian said...

Very nice! I admire all of your handwork. The story about the family lace is really interesting.