Wednesday, June 18, 2008

ANOTHER GIFT FINISHED

The process I use to cover a notebook to make it into a photo album is simple. I have made over 20 of these for friends. I use a good quality of batting and measure it to cover the notebook. Than using a hot glue gun I hold it in place. I cut 2 cardboard pieces to fit the inside and also cover the with batting. I cover the batting in the front with velvet in this case and pull it tightly inside and hot glue it. Than I add the first trim with the glue gun. The inside pieces are covered with velvet and glued in place. Than I add a contrasting color trim because I like a finished look.
I have completed a piece of crazy quilt and hot glued it to a piece of cardboard also covered with batting and pull it tightly to the back. This piece did not look finished to me and so I hunted through my stash and decided to use this roll of Yarn for better word. It looks like ribbon to me and I use it a lot.
I took a close up picture and you can see I never cut the stuff but gathered it up as I attached it to the edge and I am really happy with the outcome. That took me 2 hours alone. I think the whole thing has about 30 hours in it from start to finish. This crazy quilt patch I put together by all hand stitching....(Thanks to Melissa I now can do them on a machine.)
Here is the finished album ready to go to the massage place called "The Art Of Touch". The are really helping me with my recovery. I have used them a year and find the Swedish Massage and deep tissue that Sara gives me has helped my pain level and has kept the second knee from getting worse. Now it is helping me bend the knee that has been stiff and straight for over 2 years.l They Take a lot of pictures and have a book club also and wished for a photo album....so this should please them. They do sell a lot of things I make.
This is the inside of the album. I kept with the colors they use in the waiting room.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

VICTORIAN PIN CUSHION

I decided to join a Victorian Pin Cushion swap. I have made these shoes several years ago and decided I would try one for this swap. Now my question is this.....would you like to get one of these or should I try something else? I may add a bit more lace to the shoe. Do you think I should or would it be too much? Look at all the sides and than let me know.






These are really fun and simple to do. There really is no pattern. I begin with covering the outside of the shoe using glue. This shoe was a purple velvet and so I used some dyed lace for the covering. You have to cut pieces so you can mold the fabric to the shoe. Than the fun begins as you decide what laces to add. I used a piece of antique lace that was my MIL's and some that I have picked up at second hand places. I collect all broken jewelery and had fun with the front piece. I than added fill in the shoe and fitted velvet over the top. Glued that in good and added the vintage pink velvet ribbon and trim. I glued it and than sewed it on the top. The rest was just fun. I think I will hunt a few more shoes to do and have them on hand as gifts.

Sunday, June 1, 2008

ANOTHER PROJECT FINISHED

Last week I worked on another creature. Maybe I will tell you all that before I went to the hospital I prepared 8 projects for me to do. I knew that if the projects were ready to do embroidery I would pick them up. I also fixed a basket with my silk ribbons, threads and beads. This sure has come in handy.

Back to this mouse...She is from "Inspirations" magazine, Issue 11. Her name is Amelia Mouse. I did not have just what they used and so I just used what I have. I think she too would make a pin cushion. She was fun to do and really did not take a lot of time.

Today I seemed to make a bit of progress in the bending of the knee It is ever so slight but my husband was pleased. I still am so very tired and that concerns me some. Keep praying I make a lot of progress tomorrow and Tuesday. I see the doctor again on Wednesday. Thanks.