Thursday, August 14, 2008

OUR TALENTS ARE OUR GIFTS TO GIVE

My father passed away on August 4Th. We went to Sarasota, Florida in the middle of the night to be with mom. While we were there I took a few pictures of things I made for them. I love to do counted cross stitch and these were 3 I treasure.



The heart I did for their anniversary some years ago.
Amazing grace is a favorite song of Dad's and I loved doing this one for him.
I think this one I gave them for Christmas.
Dad treasured homemade gifts. To him it was giving our talent and time to bless others. He is right. Any form of stitching is indeed a talent. For many of us it is one that pays attention to details. We want to make sure each part of our stitching gift is as perfect as we can make it. I love to make and give to others. I often feel I was the one blessed as I see it develop.

Dad used to tell me that a talent that is not used is really a act of being ungrateful for the talent God given us. But when we use our talent we are giving praise to God for giving us that talent. I have come to believe that to be true. So this week as I reflect on Dad I am reminded he was a grateful man. He noticed the smallest things and always thanked God for putting them in his path. I too try to practice the art of being thankful for all things. I have a way to go but I thank my Dad for showing e it could be done.

Here are a few quotes he had in the notebook he gave me of what he collected over his years. Dad was 88 when he died.

Always demanding the best of oneself, living with honor, devoting one's talents and gifts to the benefits of others - these are the measures of success that endure when material things have passed away.
~Henry Ford

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me."~Erma Bombeck

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.~Unknown

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I am so sorry to read of your loss. You certainly have some beautiful pictures that expressed your love for them.

zetor said...

So sorry about your Dad, prayers and thoughts are with you at this time.

Elisabeth Braun said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad, sounds like he was a lovely man.=)